Monday, November 12, 2012

The Summers-Knoll Middle School Math Program


Karl Sikkenga has written a blog entry that I'd like you to take a look at. In it, he discusses the current state of our middle school math program. While I've spoken about this to most parents individually, I think Karl has done a nice job of summarizing how our math program has developed, both in terms of philosophy and practice.

Take a look at the entry, and let us know if you have questions or comments!


Here's an example of some of the work that Michael has been doing with our students. They spent today taking this concept:




... and building it using manipulatives in order to truly understand it:




It's an example of students literally constructing their own knowledge of mathematics! Read more about the specifics in this post over at Michael's Summers-Knoll Math blog.



On a related note, parents will be hearing from me individually in the days ahead regarding individualized Singapore Math goals. I've been working with each student in the middle school to set weekly Singapore progress goals. I'm managing these goals with individualized Google Docs, which I will be making available to parents. I think you'll find this system helpful to gain insight into how your student is progressing throughout the year. As always, I welcome any feedback you may have!


No comments:

Post a Comment